Tuesday, October 24, 2006

 

Maximizing ESL Revenue, Part 4: One Way to Build Your Portfolio

I've been afk, but not away from topic. Life's just been cluttered.

So, anyway, here's an incredible suggestion which:

1. I never saw anyone do
2. Would have yielded someone an awesome client portfolio when I left.

These comments are geared towards folks in Taiwan, but are 95% applicable anywhere. In your work and leisure, you should work to met some people at AIT and their spouses. Same with the UK and Australian representative offices. Go to national day celebrations, cultural events, etc. Besides the general networking and self-enrichment opportunities these present (and great stories!), it gets you exposure among a professional elite for whom networking is everything. Then, cultivate a few good contacts based on mutual interests (sports, politics, kids, whatever). Then, let them know that you're a training professional, and if any AIT (or UK office or whatever) spouses are leaving soon, and would like to give their students to a qualified person, you'd be happy to help. After all, these folks rotate every few years, and most of the spouses look for some sort of gig like ESL. Naturally, they command premium rates, and are a great source of kuan-hsi! And all too often, these portfolios are yours for the asking!

In fact, when I left Taiwan, I looked long and I looked hard for someone to take over my corporate clients. But I couldn't find anyone professional enough. In fact, often you would _sell_ a successful consulting practice, and I was willing to give it away, just to get the best possible person for my clients. Yet as the emails came to me after I came to the US, no one had been able to bring the right talent, personality, knowledge, and background to my former clients.

So, bottom line: Look for people leaving the country, especially those with high-end clients. And don't ask for their furniture! Ask for their clients and introductions!

Comments:
This is the best advice I've read on the subject! So many people think that teaching ESL in Asia is a slacker job, but I can definitely see how you can change that. I'm planning on moving to Taiwan in a year or two after I graduate with my BA in English. If you have any more tips I'd love to hear them.
 
I totally agree. This is ESL for adults !

Thank you!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?